Top priority for the summer = find a job for the fall. So far so good, I've only found one on campus that works for me, and I filled out the application today. The problem that I'm facing here is that I've never actually looked for a job. The one I have now was practically handed to me, and although I am extremely grateful for that, I've now worked for over 3 years in the same office and not had to worry about anything. lol So I'm just praying that I won't have to look far and this one will work out :)
Now for the fun search-an internship for next summer. I figure I need to at least start researching, emailing, getting contacts, etc. if I'm going to make this plan work. Of course, I love the conversation that I have with most people concerning my "plan".
Them- "So, what's your major?"
Me-"Accounting & Finance"
T-"Really, I'm no good at math. I'd get really bored as an accountant"
M-"So would I"
T-"Then you're an accounting major why.....?"
M-"What I really want to do is work in the southern gospel music industry in Nashville. But I figure a business degree is the best way to go and if I get an accounting degree I'll have something to fall back on"
(At this point, they're still trying to process the words 'southern gospel' coming out of a college student's mouth. They're having visions of their grandparents and beehive hairstyles and tenors trying to hit notes that would wake the dead. Then, they shake themselves from this sight, realize that yes, that did come from that ravishing creature standing in front of them. They now try to compose themselves and muster an intelligent response."
T-"Oh...that's cool"
I can't tell you how many times I've had versions of this exact convo. I accepted along time that I am not normal, so it doesn't bother me anymore :) I was raised on southern gospel music and love it. Don't get me wrong, I've gone through my share of musical phases (I can dig out some N'sync cds just like everyone else), but it's always come back to sogo. I would watch Gaither videos and imagine what it would be like to live that life. And I had always loved Nashville and wanted to live there so bad. But of course, that all of this was unrealistic and I needed to decide what I was really going to do. I've always been a "businessy" person. I like organization and numbers and I have this strange fettish with office supplies. After my mom suggested that I may enjoy it, I took accounting in high school and then decided that that was what I would major in. I had plans of becoming a CPA and all that fun stuff (what was i thinking...), then my parents sponsored a David Phelps concert. By the end of that summer, I was amazed by how much work goes on behind the scenes to make a concert successful. It wasn't long after that when I felt that God was truly calling me that direction.
Now, I'm hoping to get an internship next summer in Nashville, preferably with a management/booking agency or record label. And if things go well, I'll be able to move down right after I graduate and find a job through that internship. The funny thing is, reading this and if I actually sit and think about this, I tell myself I'm crazy. The odds of things working out like that is small. I'm sure these places aren't hiring people all the time and a job like that is going to be hard to get. But the odd thing is, I have a real peace about this. I don't know exactly how God is going to work it out, but as long as I'm willing to follow Him, He will. My accountability girls will attest that this type of peace is not normal for me. lol I'm usually a very "I trust God but I don't trust myself" type of person. But, He's made it very clear to me that this is where I belong, so I'm resting in the fact that He'll put me where He wants me.
So I ask that you pray for me during this time while I'm making some pretty big decisions. Pray that I will keep this peace and be able to discern where He's leading me. And also, if you know of any managers looking for interns...let me know :)
1 comment:
Dani,
I love your passion/level headedness. They are quite the opposite, yet totally from the Lord.
I love how God can give you such passion about something but give you a good head on your shoulders to realistically achieve your dreams. I could really learn that "realistic" part from you.
Just remember to keep an open mind. Whatever God has planned for you is FAR better than anything we could dream up for ourselves.
I will be praying for you!
Post a Comment